Marketing Best Practices for 2019 and Beyond
When launching any campaign, it makes sense to start with an understanding and appreciation for some marketing best practices, building these into your strategy to ensure the best chance of success. Sadly, too many companies overlook these elements and see their marketing and their businesses struggle as a result.
Below we’ll outline seven key things that you should keep in mind for long term success in digital marketing.
Marketing Best Practices – 7 steps:
While some of the specific marketing best practices might have evolved, 2018 showed that core principles of successful digital marketing remain unchanged, this includes:
- Take a holistic approach – From day one make sure you think about marketing in the context of your larger business strategy. You’re not simply trying to increase your brand awareness, or traffic to your website, you’re doing this as part of a wider goal, such as increasing revenue or attracting a new customer demographic. In 2018 we helped a number of key clients use digital marketing to enter new markets and build new revenue streams by selling direct to consumers.
- Understand your audience – The attitudes and desires of consumers is continually shifting, so making assumptions about what motivates people to buy your products or services is asking for trouble. Staying close to your customers on the other hand will arm you with great insight that you can use to drive your marketing campaigns.
- Analyse your stats – One of the key benefits of digital marketing is the simple access to vast amounts of data. Regularly tracking the performance of the various aspects of your strategy allows you to make data driven decisions about what to do next.
- Double down on what works – Once you’ve analysed your data, you can start to iterate and optimise your performance. Digital marketing strategies should continually evolve and get better, so focus on doing more of what works, and less of what doesn’t.
- Think Mobile-First – Through 2018 it became widely accepted that search engines give preference for mobile friendly sites, so if organic search traffic is important to you, then you have to be mobile friendly. But beyond that, the vast majority of traffic is shifting to mobile anyway, so you need to ensure that you’re giving your potential customers a great experience on their mobile devices.
- Don’t compromise on quality – The days of letting the summer intern run your social media profiles are well and truly behind us, and many companies learnt the hard way that getting social wrong can have serious reputational damage. Content is still king, so if you’re putting out any material, be it a blog post, a tweet, or an image, make sure that it represents the qualities that you stand for as a company.
- Be search engine friendly – SEO has become increasingly competitive over recent years, with large companies investing heavily on figuring out how to claim the top spots. While your focus should be on producing high quality, naturally written content, you should also follow basic SEO hygiene factors to help search engines find and rank your pages appropriately. In 2019 long-tail keywords will continue to grow in popularity as more and more people turn to voice recognition tools for search queries.
Long-term Marketing Expertise
At AsOne we’ve been focused on digital marketing for over a decade and we’ve noticed that while certain elements and tactics might change year on year, fundamental strategies and marketing best practices tend to remain fairly consistent.
By working closely with clients across a wide array of industries, we’ve built up deep expertise of how to apply best practice, and how to couple it with the latest innovations to have maximum impact.
If you’re looking to refresh your marketing strategy for 2019, don’t hesitate to get in touch and speak to one of the team.